Saturday 20 August 2011

Where The Truth Lies by Julie Corbin




I must start with a warning, do not on any account start reading this book unless you have a few hours free. You immediately find yourself in the middle of a dramatic situation and the pace never halts, not for a minute, and it is impossible to stop reading. I made the mistake of starting this book during the wee small hours when I was unable to sleep – mistake, I got no sleep!

Claire’s young daughter is having a birthday party and appears to go missing. While Claire is concerned, her husband Jules overreacts, and she sees in his eyes that he is desperately worried. Bea turns up safely, but in that time, Claire knows there is something major going on with her husband, something she has no idea about to have made him react the way he did. Jules is off on business for a couple of days immediately after the incident, so Claire is unable to talk to him about it.

Jules is a lawyer and is currently working on the prosecution of a very bad man, a vicious man he has been trying to get behind bars for 20 years, Claire, used to be a lawyer before she decided to become a stay at home mum and move to Brighton. All her skills in investigation come to the fore when she decides to try to discover what is going on, and what she finds frightens her to her core. Her family is in danger and she will not sit by relying on others to deal with their situation.

This is fast, frightening and exciting. I really enjoyed the book and I was left breathless by the end, I felt I had been on such a journey with this family. How in one day a seemingly quiet ordinary family could suddenly be in danger of being torn apart, how every person in their lives has to be considered suspect until proven otherwise.

This is the 2nd novel by Julie Corbin, I enjoyed her first one, and I shall certainly be waiting impatiently for her third. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment