Saturday 21 May 2011

Every Last One by Anna Quindlen




This is a book from Richard and Judy’s Summer Book Club

On reading the blurb on the back this book appealed to me:



“ The Lathams seem to have it all: wealth and a vibrant family life. As Mary Beth Latham contemplates a life built around home, friends and community, she has every reason to feel fulfilled and content.
Then, for one of her sons, a process of unravelling begins. Mary Beth starts to focus on him, only to find that the comfortable life she has spend years carefully constructing is shattered in a single moment………….”

While I didn’t hate this book, I was disappointed. It is difficult to say too much with out giving too much of the story away. Anna Quinlan is described as an author of 5 bestselling novels, so she is obviously successful, but I felt the book just trotted a long at the same pace the whole way through, I was waiting for the build up to whatever was going to shatter her comfortable life, however it arrived and happened and then there was the aftermath all still at the same trot.

I felt cheated, instead of an “Oh my God” it was just an “Oh! So that’s what happens” In honesty I could have put the book down at any point and forgotten to pick it up again and would not have missed it much. It was well written and much of it was enjoyable, I just felt it was missing the build up and the drama I was looking for.

Jackie

21/05/2011

My first Book review

1 comment:

  1. Great job on the new blog Jackie! I look forward to getting your next review :)
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete