Monday 23 May 2011

Deric Longden

I asked myself the question, what books would you take with you if you were told you could only keep 1 series. I negotiated with myself and allowed myself 2, one fiction and 1 non -fiction. I must, of course share this with you all. I will start with the non fiction, just because they are to hand.
Without a doubt the series - the biography of Deric Longden- is superb.

I have never, ever laughed till I cried so often, and sobbed out loud to, as with these books. The older ones are showing signs of wear as they have been read so often. 2 of them have been made into films for TV, and were outstanding, but the books are better, just because there is more in them. If you too like cats , you will love their part in his story.

Book 1: Diana’s Story

This is the story of Deric’s first wife Diana, and her falling ill with ME. For those with chronic illness there are many parts of this story you will be able to identify with, I am thinking in particular to the diagnosis process. (must post this on my other blog for this very reason!) Why is any of it funny you might ask, you have to read it to understand. I had many laughs , but I was howling with tears too, and still do every time I read it.

This was the first book to be televised as “Wide Eyed and Legless” with Julie Waters playing Diana, and Jim Broadbent as Deric.

Book 2: Lost for Words

This is the story of Deric’s mother, a “wonderfully endearing, eccentric lady whose passions ranged from pot plants and her beloved pussycats to Buttercup Syrup which she consumed in vast quantities

I remember reading one part of this book on a bus and embarrassing myself by laughing out loud, I truly could not help myself. This is a really moving story, and tells what it is like for a grown up finding their parent starting on the downward slope where the relationship changes so the child becomes the carer. Don’t forget the tissues.

Also Deric is starting on a new relationship during this period which came with its own complications

This was also made into a film for TV, still called Lost for Words and starred Thora Hird and Pete Postlewaite as the main characters.

 

Book 3 : The Cat Who Came in From The Cold

Deric and Aileen are together and as the title suggests a little cat joined their household. Aileen is registered blind, which will help explain: “ Aileen being Aileen, it was probably inevitable that sooner or later the kitten would be trapped in the refrigerator. And Deric being Deric, the obvious way to thaw him back to life was to make a little coat for him out of a shrunken thermal vest. Thus the cat who came in from the cold got his name - Thermal - and joined the wonderful cast of characters in the ongoing Longden saga”

If you have read the first 2 books and like me become hooked, and love cats , this is seventh heaven, laughing and crying but never bored.



Book 4: I’m a Stranger Here Myself

This book is mainly concerned with the move of the household to Huddersfield. A household including a blind wife and several cats who all have to get to know the new home in their own particular way.

There is also a host of new characters as they settle into their new home, and town. Superb

Book 5: Enough to Make a Cat Laugh

This book is centred round the cats, Thermal, Tigger, Frink and Arthur . If you love cats then you cannot not read this book .Again you do need the tissues for the tears of all kinds.

Book 6: A Play on Words

This is the continuing story of the life and times of Deric and Aileen and the cats, but with the addition of the story of the filming of “Lost for Words”

“ In A Play on Words he describes the unique experience of seeing at close hand his book - and an important part of his own life - turn into a film amid the continuing chaos of his private world. Somehow or other, despite the usual hilarious interruptions, his own brand of literary work gets done, influenced by such matters as rag-and-bone men, the Moscow State Circus and crinkle-cut beetroot - and the usual cast of characters



Book 7: Paws in the Proceedings

As the title suggests this is more cat stories. Funny and sad, as a small gang of cats rules the household one way or another. Every bit as readable as the other books. We are also brought up to date on Deric and Aileen’s life.



These books are a joy, a wonderful story told by a master story teller. Every emotion is there, the most predominant one being laughter. My only warning is if you read any of these books in public, be prepared to laugh…….. loudly, which when you are on your own in a public place does mean you will get some very strange looks, but even with this pre warning you will not be able to stop your self.

I have the books all beside me now, and guess what, yep, going to have to read them yet again. Sometimes, if I am feeling down, I will read one of them just to laugh, to feel joy and lift me up again.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment